In this mini-course you will learn everything you need to know about consistency in Apache Cassandra.
Consistency is a very important topic in distributed databases like Cassandra. Cassandra gives you full control over consistency. In other words, Cassandra gives you Tunable Consistency.
There are many reasons why you should learn about consistency. First, using write and read consistency levels you can tune individual tables to be either immediately consistent (like an RDBMS) or eventually consistency.
By tuning consistency, you can tune the following characteristics of your application:
- Optimize for write performance
- Optimize for read performance
- Balance performance between reads and writes
- Increase the availability of your cluster
- Trade availability for consistency
- Optimize for performance, throughput and availability in exchange for a few milliseconds of eventual consistency
Why should I take this course?
First, it's free!
On a more serious note, this course will save you hours of time by delivering a comprehensive discussion of consistency in a single location vs. randomly searching the Internet.
By the end of this course you will have a complete understanding of consistency. You will also know how to use consistency levels to optimize for write performance vs. read performance, plus you will know how to implement a balanced approach to performance vs. availability.
The #1 reason you should take this course is that learning consistency in Cassandra will help you build highly-scalable applications with Cassandra.
What are the technical requirements to take the course?
You only require a web browser and the ability to play/watch videos to take this course.
Do I need to know Cassandra to take this course?
No prior Cassandra experience is required. This course discusses consistency in-depth and is a good fit for both people new to Cassandra and those experienced with the database.
- What is consistency?
- Immediate vs. eventual consistency
- Tunable consistency in Cassandra
- How to set the consistency level (CL) in cqlsh and Python
- Introduction to how consistency affects availability and performance
- How to tune write consistency level (CL)
- How to tune read consistency level (CL)
- Tuning write and read CL to obtain immediate consistency
- Tuning write and read CL to obtain eventual consistency
- How to optimize performance with write and read CLs
- Consistency levels (CL)
- Single data center consistency levels
- Multi-DC consistency levels
- Commonly used consistency levels
- Rarely used consistency levels
He can be found on Twitter @akbar501.
Frequently Asked Questions
Apache Cassandra is an amazing database that enables you to build highly scalable applications. However, when I first learned Cassandra I wasted a lot of time reading blog posts and watching YouTube videos that did not have everything I needed to learn in one place.
This course will help you avoid some of the difficulties I had when learning Cassandra. It provides a concise, in-depth discussion of consistency that covers everything you need to know to use consistency effectively in your applications.
The contents of this course are being updated on a regular basis to ensure that it keeps up with current best practices. I hope you enjoy this course and look forward to helping you develop the skills you require to create highly scalable, high-performance applications with Apache Cassandra.
Enroll now, it's free.
Akbar S. Ahmed (instructor)